Executive Director, ISRA
Prof. Dr. Mohamad Akram Laldin
Prof. Dr. Mohamad Akram Laldin is currently:
- Member, Shariah Advisory Council of Bank Negara Malaysia,
- Member, Shariah Advisory Committee of the Employees’ Provident Fund
- Member, Shariah Supervisory Council of the Labuan Financial Services Authority
Globally, he holds the following positions:
- Chairman, Shariah Board of the Maldives Monetary Authority
- Member, Shariah Advisory Board of Yasaar Limited (Dubai)
- Member, Shariah Advisory Council of the International Islamic Financial Market (IIFM), (Bahrain)
- Member, Shariah Advisory of Eco Islamic Bank (Republic of Kyrgyzstan) – Shariah Advisor of Dar Al Takaful (Dubai)
- Member, Panel of Recognized International Market Experts in Finance (“P.R.I.M.E. Finance”)
He is currently the Executive Director of International Shari’ah Research Academy for Islamic Finance (ISRA). Prior to joining ISRA he was an Assistant Professor at the Kulliyah of Islamic Revealed Knowledge and Human Sciences, International Islamic University, Malaysia (IIUM).
In the period 2002-2004, he was a Visiting Assistant Professor at the University of Sharjah, Sharjah, United Arab Emirates. At present, he is Member of the Shariah Advisory Council of Bank Negara Malaysia, Member of the Shariah Advisory Committee of Employees Provident Fund (EPF), Member of Yassar Limited (Dubai) Shari’ah Advisory Board, Member of EAB (London) Shari’ah Advisory Board, Chairman of Islamic Advisory Board of HSBC Insurance Singapore. Dr. Akram is also Shari’ah Advisor to ZI Shariah Advisory Malaysia, , Committee member of AAOIFI Shari’ah Standards, Bahrain and other boards locally and internationally. He is also Member of the Board of Studies of the Institute of Islamic Banking and Finance, International Islamic University Malaysia.
Dr. Akram holds a B.A. Honors degree in Islamic Jurisprudence and Legislation from the University of Jordan, Amman, Jordan and a PhD in Principles of Islamic Jurisprudence (Usul al-Fiqh) from the University of Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom. He has presented many papers related to Islamic banking and finance and other fiqh topics at the national and international level and has conducted many training sessions, particularly on Islamic banking and finance, for different sectors since 1999. He is a registered Shariah Advisor for Islamic Securities with the Securities Commission Malaysia and has acted as Shari’ah advisor in the issuance of several sukuks. Dr. Akram is a prolific author of academic works especially in the areas of Islamic banking and finance.
He has been honoured with:
- “Excellence in Shariah Advisory and Research”, Zaki Badawi Award (2010)
- “Anugerah Maulidur Rasul” by the Government of Malaysia (2017)